Thursday 20 August 2009

How many more units to go ?

I'm aiming to get to enough units to refight battles of the size of Lansdown and Roundway. At Roundway approximate numbers on each side was : Parliament- 2500 foot, 2000 horse Royalist - 3000 foot, 1800 horse

I'm using a ratio of 1 fig:33 men with foot regiments at 600 strong (18 figs) and horse regiments at 300 strong (9 figs); this means to be able to field each side I will need a total of

9 (or 10) regiments of foot
12 (or 13) regiments of horse

Currently I have got the following painted units:
6 regiments of foot, 4 regiments of horse, 2 regiments of dragoons and 4 guns

and the following unpainted units:
2 regiments of foot, 2 regiments of horse

So I need to buy 1 (or 2) regiments of foot and 6 (or 7) regiments of horse (oof ! a bit of knock on the old warchest).

4 comments:

Bluebear Jeff said...

I'm not all that knowledgeable about the ECW so I didn't know about the Battle of Roundway.

So I went to Wikipedia to look it up . . . and found that they list less foot and a lot more mounted for the Parliamentarians than you have.

Now Wikipedia is certainly not always right . . . but you might want to check some more resources and make sure that you have the correct numbers.

Or just say that this is what you want and leave it at that.


-- Jeff

Bluebear Jeff said...

Well I checked my copy of "English Civil War Gaming Scenarios, Vol. 1" last night . . . and their numbers are much closer to yours than the Wiki numbers.

It also looks like it would make a great 3-man game if started when Waller first learns that cavalry is approaching from the northeast.

Does he leave anything to deter Hopton from sallying forth? . . . or follow the historical plan?


-- Jeff

littlejohn said...

Those regiments of horse are tough pocketbook-wise but will be an impressive display in the end. Looking forward to the project. I'm still building ECW but slowed a bit this last summer. The bug always comes back in the Fall though.

old-tidders said...

Jeff,

the setup of a Roundway down game would have to involve the delay/indecision of the royalist foot in leaving Devizes. So I would have some sort of initial time period after which to throw dice to start marching out

- Allan