Tuesday 21 August 2007

Plans for each side's army ...

I've sort of have a plan on how to develop the ECW figs I've got to make a couple of armies.

1. Rework the Royalist command group (3 figs) - I'm going to change the commander to have a suit of cuirassier armour, but with a soft hat.
2. Create the Parliamentarian command group (3 figs).
3. Have one regiment of foot for each side that will be involved in every scenario.
4. Have a number of peices of artillery, regiments of foot and horse which could be allocated to either side depending on the scenario. How many ?
Artillery : 6 guns (1 gun + 4 crew), currently have 1 of these.
Foot : 8 regiments (24 figs each), currently have 2 of these.
Horse : 8 regiments (12 figs each), currently have 2 of these.
5. Start collecting scenics for this scale; I've currently got a couple of houses; trees etc needed.

Phew thats a lot of metal to get and store. Well this looks like it may take some time do !!

Just as an aside I've also been looking at the 'Call to Arms' ECW 54mm plastic figs range - the cannon may be useable for my 42mm figs. Also the infantry could be used to make some dioramas. No cavalry in the range yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tidders,

I've been watching your blog for a while since your ECW project is much like my own. With the exception that I am using the 'Call to Arms' figures. I suspect the CTA gun might work as a siege piece for 42mm, but will probably be a bit big to use as a field piece. I don't own any of the CTA guns yet, but I've looked at a lot of pictures of it and it looks big, even for 54mm. I've picked up a smallish 54mm cannon from BMC's American Revolution set to use as a small field piece. It is a little generic for the period, though acceptable. Granted, it certainly doesn't masquerade as a baroque work of art! You might want to check it out.

Also, CTA does make two sets of cavalry in 54mm. 'Cromwell's Ironsides' and 'Haselrigge's Lobsters'. I've got a picture of the Ironsides (and the BMC cannon) on my blog at www.static-lift.net/WordPress/

t'other Jeff